Saturday, February 18, 2012

Reflection on Learning Theories


Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself.  ~John Dewey

I firmly believe that learning in one way or another continues throughout our entire lives. Whether it is as an infant, teenager, or an adult, learning is a part of our daily lives. In doing the learning matrix my understanding of the learning theories has vastly improved. The learning theories have allowed me the opportunity to examine the manner in which learners learn and receive information; being a new instructor with only five years’ experience this has been very beneficial for me.  

This course has been my first exposure to the learning theories; I am now aware of how having an understanding of theories can truly help me instruct and design instructional materials with a better purpose.  I have learned that there is a large number of theories that have been put forth to describe the learning processes in which people use to learn new concepts and to put them into practice.  I have noticed that I have already begun to incorporate my new found knowledge of learning theories by adding real life situations to my discussion boards. For example I felt that some of my discussion boards were not effective in reaching my adult learners.  In reading course material I found that adults are most interested in learning about subjects that have immediate relevance to their job or personal life (Conlan, Grabowski, & Smith, 2003). This is only one of the learning theories that have helped to be a better instructor.

This course has allowed me to examine the way I lean and I feel that I learn the same way in which I started the course. I am a person that learns from my environment and I tend to feel that I fit into the cognitivist and constructivist theories. Also, being an adult learner I do find that I fit into the five assumptions underlying andragogy. 

  • ·         Has an independent self-concept and who can direct his or her own learning.
  • ·         Has accumulated a reservoir of life experience that ia a rich resource for learning.
  • ·         Has learning needs closely related to changing social roles
  • ·         Is problem-centered and interested in immediate application of knowledge.
  • ·         Is motivated to learn by internal rather than external factors (Merriam, 2001, p.5)

While I believe that I fit into all of the assumptions above, I now know from the learning matrix that depending on what I am attempting to learn, one, two or all of the learning theories may come into play. Technology has been very influential in my learning, the internet, online learning and my social network has provided an excellent learning environment for me. Technology has changed the way in which I access information and collaborate with my fellow students. It has also change the way in which I instruct and collaborate with my students. In taking this course I have discovered that there is a connection between learning theories, learning styles, and motivation, but in the end they are all designed to help us instruct and learn effectively.   

As stated in my opening quote learning is for life and I will use this course and my new found knowledge of learning theories in my future career as an instructional designer.

Brainyquote, (2001). John Dewey Quotes. Retrieved from http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/j/john_dewey.html

Conlan, J., Grabowski, S., & Smith, K.. (2003). Adult Learning. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/

Merriam, S. B. (2001). Andragogy and self-directed learning: Pillars of adult learning theory. New Directions for Adult & Continuing Education, v. 89, p. 3-14.

No comments:

Post a Comment